Monday, November 10, 2008

A Little Too Convicted

Last night, Del and I went with some friends to see the movie "Fireproof"...and I would say that our reaction to it surprised us both. First of all, it was a great movie. Neither of us knew anything about it, (conviction #1 - we hadn't even heard about it)...but some friends from church told us it was a Christian film and asked if we wanted to go, so we said "yes!". Conviction #2 came when our group and one other family were the only ones in the theater. Conviction #3 came when Del and I were driving home and we got to talking about how uncomfortable we felt during certain parts of the movie. "Uncomfortable"? Did that word just come out of my mouth while describing a CHRISTIAN movie?!? I'm going to be brutally honest with you. Yes. It made us feel uncomfortable. To see actors on the "big screen" talk openly about God, Faith, Jesus dying on the cross for our sins....was totally foreign. There were times when I had the thought, "shhh, no, you aren't suppose to say that in a movie!". We were even sitting with fellow Christians and these are things we profess to live our lives by! Woah--aren't we suppose "to be in the world but not of the world" (John 15:19) It was a huge slap in the face and really made Del and I ask, "are we really unashamed of the Gospel?"
I would highly recommend this movie to anyone! It had a great story...and these actors/producers are truly unashamed of the Gospel! I am praying today that God will reveal areas in my life that need changed so that I can be more like Jesus and less like the world.

p.s. One really awesome thing I learned about this movie--There is a point where Kirk Cameron kisses his "wife" in the movie. Well, because they have such a high regard for marriage, they brought in Kirk Cameron's REAL wife, and  he kissed her instead of the actress that played his wife! In what other movie have you ever seen that happen!?! Awesome. I love the Body of Christ!

No comments: