Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Davis Cole Sloneker is HERE!!

 A week ago yesterday, our son, Davis Cole, made his grand entrance into the world.
{So without rambling on and on...and without showing you every single picture we've taken over this past week, which I'd really like to do...I'm going to try and recap the day to the best of my epidural-enduced recollection.}

On Monday, January 9th, we went to our weekly doctors appointment hoping to see that I had made some more "progress" towards labor....which I had. Ever since 35 weeks I had been dilating about a cm or so a week. So by the time Christmas rolled around I was walking around at 3-4 cm dilated...which made me a little nervous since we spent 2 weeks up in NWA seeing our families. But we made it back to LR without Del delivering a baby on the side of the highway, so we breathed a sigh of relief. :)

So, last Monday when we went to our appointment, not only had I made progress, but my blood pressure was also a lot higher than its ever been...especially during this pregnancy. Samantha {our doctor} monitored it for a little while, and when it finally settled down she said to go home and just rest. Originally, she advised us to go for a walk since she had just stripped my membranes in an effort to try and get labor started...and let me tell you...it worked. I started having contractions every 5 minutes...and that trend continued for the next few hours.

We heeded Samantha's advice to go home and just rest. Del monitored my blood pressure {yes, while wearing a Snuggie...that's how we roll around here. Don't knock it 'till you try it! ha.} but the contractions still continued.
 We started getting a little restless, wondering if we should head to the hospital or not...especially since Samantha kept texting to say to come on up so we could get this show on the road...but we just didn't want to get sent back home if the contractions weren't strong enough.
So we waited a little longer, and while we were waiting our stroller showed up {bonus!} so Del put that together and I finished up a few things around the house. We already had our "go bag" packed and the nursery was ready to roll as well. I felt like we were "as prepared" as we could have been...but it was still crazy to think that if we went to the hospital we could possibly bring home a baby! I don't know if you are ever truly prepared for that one! :)

But, around 9:00 we were finally ready to go. We snapped one last belly picture and headed out the door!
We arrived at the hospital and they already had a room waiting for us. We asked if I would get checked first to see if these contractions were "for real", and the nurse said "Nope! You're 38 weeks. You're going to have a baby tonight." Ok then! She handed me a gown and from that moment on, it was go-time!

The anesthesiologist came in and asked when I wanted the epidural, but I told her I'd wait for a little while. Then at 11:00 Samantha came in and broke my water, I had two contractions, and immediately told them that they could bring the anesthesiologist back in because I was ready for the epidural now. ha. Needless to say, I don't have the highest pain tolerance. Once they administered the epidural, it immediately went to work on my right side but I could still feel all the pain on my left. So they had me lay on my left side, hoping gravity would run it's course...and eventually it did. Thank goodness!!

Then probably around 1:30am, our nurse Selina {oh, and I can not even tell you how excited I was when we found out our nurse's name was Selina! It's one of my all time favorite movies! :)} came in and I told her I felt like I needed to push because I was feeling a lot of pressure. She had her doubts that I was actually ready to push since Samantha had just broken my water at 11:00. But she humored us, and when she checked she said "Yeah, the reason you're feeling pressure is because he's right there!"

She ran and got Samantha, got her suited up, and set the room up for delivery. It was fast and furious!

At 1:45am I started pushing and at 2:01, we heard the first sweet cry of our 6 lb 2oz, 18 3/4 in son. 
And just like that, our family of two became a family of three!
My parents made it to the hospital right before Davis was born, so we visited for an hour or so before we all realized how tired we were. I think we slept for a few hours until around 7:00 when I got really hungry and Del went to get us some breakfast. But when he was walking down the hall he saw a familiar face! His best friend, Josh, had driven down from NWA to meet Davis and spend the morning with the new dad! It was a sweet time for both of them.
Throughout the day, Tuesday and then Wednesday morning, Davis had so many wonderful visitors. Thank you to each one of you for coming by and loving on our little boy within the first few hours of life.
Our first night with him went great. We worked on feeding and then just snuggled with him all night. We definitely could have gotten more sleep, but we just couldn't keep our eyes off him. {We're probably paying for it now. ha}
And before we knew it, it was time to head home...where the true test of parenting begins! :)
Since we've been home, we've only fallen more and more in love with our little guy. And little he is! I think he could stay all curled up in this position all day if we'd let him.
We've spent our days sleeping, eating, changing diapers, smothering him with kisses, trying to fix his hair into funny hair-dos, and cracking up at all of the funny faces he makes. And yes, if you're wondering, he looks EXACTLY like Del. {Which I, of course, think is a great thing!}
My parents left on Sunday evening, so on Monday, we spent our first day of "real parenting" by giving Davis a bath and then going for a walk! We've had beautiful weather here recently so we thought we should take advantage of it!
It was great for me to get out and walk as well. However it didn't take long for me to realize how COMPLETELY out of shape I'm in. Nine months of pregnancy will do it to ya'! Oh well, it was totally worth it...and pretty soon, Jillian and I will reunite for an all-out booty whooping! But for now, we will rest, recover, and love on our little buddy.
And so, for now....I'd just like to say thank you. Thank you for all of the prayers, texts, emails, phone calls, visits, and meals you've sent our way. It means the world to us and we truly are forever grateful for the love you've poured out on our family.

A few days before we went to the hospital, I got a little weepy at the thought that pretty soon it would never just be Del and I again. But now that Davis is here, it's like he's always been here and Del and I's love for each other has grown so much more since he's been here as well. It's an amazing phenomena that I can't really explain, but am completely thankful for!

I hope your week is off to a great start, and if you're ever in "the neighborhood" feel free to stop in and meet the newest member of our family! We think he's pretty great! :)

4 comments:

marietta said...

Congrats Chelsea! Davis is beautiful and I LOVE the name!

Lauren Lashlee said...

So many emotions came over me when I read this... at one point I was crying and then I was laughing. Sounds like everything went just perfect. What a quick labor you had!! Blessed for sure! This post brought back so many memories from when my guys first came. What an amazing and indescribable time!! I got tickled at all of Davis' funny expressions! Hilarious! He is precious and I am so happy for you guys!! Enjoy this time because it goes by way too fast! You will blink and he will be a toddler running around like a maniac. : )

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel Grady Faires said...

Congratulations Del and Chelsea! Davis Cole is one beautiful baby. Y'all will be the best parents EVER! Thanks for letting us share in the blessing of your very special day.

Love you!