Sunday, May 9, 2010

Empty Nesters

No, we don't have any children that just left the home...but our "cute" little baby birds have now spread their wings and are no longer under the protection of our front porch.

Photobucket

It was amazing to watch them out our front door window for the last few weeks. I don't think their mother had the same sentiments for us as we did for them. As you can see, she's not the happiest creature on the planet. Maybe she heard us calling her "Devil Eyes" so she made sure to flash them at us through the window every chance she got. I'm 90% sure that momma-crazy-eyes is stepping on one of her children's heads in the picture below.

Photobucket

I don't really know why I thought this, but in my mind, it was going to take a baby bird just as long to grow up as it does a baby human. Boy was I wrong! ha! Look how fast they grew up.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Then, this past Saturday morning when Del opened the front door to let Burt out, they all 'flew the coop'! (is that even the right phrase?...anyway, you get the point) I was still in bed, but supposedly it was pretty funny. Of course, they can't 'really' fly so Burt had a hay-day chasing them around the yard. The only results I can see from it, is all the bird poop on that they left behind on the porch. I guess that is their way of saying "Thanks for letting us stay".

I kind of miss the little guys, but I'm sure we will have some more next Spring.

No comments: